Where to Enter 401k Contributions on Tax Return

When it comes to filing your tax return, understanding where to enter your 401k contributions is crucial. Look for Form 1040, which is the main tax form for individuals. On this form, you will find a section labeled “Adjustments to Income.” Within this section, there will be a line for “IRA deduction (see instructions).” While this line primarily pertains to traditional IRAs, it is also where you should enter the amount you contributed to your 401k plan for the tax year. By including this information, you can reduce your taxable income and potentially lower your overall tax liability.

Form 1040, Line 32

If you made traditional 401(k) contributions during the year, you can reduce your taxable income by the amount of your contributions. You report your 401(k) contributions on line 32 of Form 1040, under “Adjustments to Income.” The space provided is to report deductible contributions to traditional 401(k) plans, employer-sponsored 403(b) plans, and IRA accounts.

Note: You can only deduct traditional 401(k) contributions if you do not participate in a Roth 401(k) plan.

To report your 401(k) contributions on line 32 of Form 1040, you will need the following information:

  • The amount of your 401(k) contributions for the year
  • Your employer’s identification number (EIN)
  • The plan sponsor’s name and address

You can find this information on your Form W-2, Box 12, code D. If you do not have your Form W-2, you can contact your employer or the plan sponsor for this information.

Once you have this information, you can enter it on line 32 of Form 1040. Be sure to include the amount of your 401(k) contributions, your employer’s EIN, and the plan sponsor’s name and address.

Reporting your 401(k) contributions on your tax return is an important step in reducing your taxable income. By following these steps, you can ensure that you are taking advantage of this valuable tax deduction.

IRS Form 5498

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues Form 5498 to provide information about your 401(k) contributions and earnings. This form is important when filing your tax return because it helps you determine your taxable income and potential tax savings.

How to Find the Information on Your Form 5498

  • Box 1: Total Contributions – This is the total amount of money you contributed to your 401(k) plan during the year.
  • Box 2: Employer Contributions – This is the amount of money your employer contributed to your 401(k) plan on your behalf.
  • Box 3: Total Employer-Sponsored Pension Plan Contributions – This is the total amount of money that was contributed to all employer-sponsored pension plans on your behalf, including 401(k) plans, profit-sharing plans, and other retirement savings plans.

Where to Enter the Information on Your Tax Return

The information from Form 5498 should be entered on the following lines of your tax return:

Line NumberLocationInformation to Enter
12bForm 1040Box 1 from Form 5498
14bForm 1040Box 2 from Form 5498
27Form 1040Box 3 from Form 5498

Employer Contribution Limits

The maximum amount your employer can contribute to your 401(k) account is limited by the IRS. These limits are set for each year and may change each year.

  • 2023: $22,500
  • 2022: $20,500
  • 2021: $19,500
  • 2020: $19,000

If you are over age 50, you are eligible to make additional “catch-up” contributions. These contributions must be made to the same type of account as your primary 401(k) contributions.

AgeCatch-up Limit
50 or older$7,500

: kade:kade:
Thanks for sticking with me through this 401(k) contribution journey! I know it can be a bit of a headache, but hopefully, this article has made it a little easier for you to navigate the tax return process. If you have any more questions or just want to chat about all things personal finance, feel free to swing by again later. I’m always happy to help!